Monday, April 11, 2011

Jeeps can't swim

That is the lesson for today.

They don't like mud puddles....especially mud puddles that are about a foot deep on a road in the middle of nowhere that doesn't have cell phone service and they can't swim.

I should have taken a picture, but I didn't.

Here is the mental picture: it is 4:30 in the afternoon and maybe 50 degrees.  We are up in the foothills of the mountains and the Tom Tom (POS that it is) tells us to turn down this road to get home.  It is a powerline road.  For those that don't know, like me before yesterday, those are the dirt/gravel roads between the powerlines.  We are about two miles down this road when the jeep died.  Granted we had been through a few puddles, but it died.  Did I mention the two small children in the back?  Did I mention it died IN the puddle? Did I mention these puddles are like a foot to a foot and a half deep?

Our first thought was to get the Jeep out of the puddle.  We hop out into the foot deep COLD water and try to push.  We rock it back and forth, but we can't push it out.  While we try pushing the baby starts getting upset and then the oldest starts melting down.  He's crying saying he misses home and we'll never see it again.  I pull out my phone to discover the lack of cell coverage (FUCK YOU T-MOBILE) and I'm about to meltdown myself.  Husband decides to walk to get either help and/or cell coverage while I try to manage the 5 year old and the 4 month old in the Jeep.

We wait.  I get the kids calmed down.  The oldest goes on about how Daddy made a sad choice and we are stuck in the mud.  I told him this is a good lesson for him.  This is why you don't drive through puddles, which Daddy has told Mommy lots of times.  Husband comes back.  He was able to get 911 emergency coverage a bit down the road and he's called for a tow.  Except that his description to the dispatcher has her thinking we are about 40 miles from where we actually are.  Luckily, the cell phones have emergency coverage again and he's able to give them the longitude and latitude of where we are.  We sit and wait.

I'm stressed, he's stressed, our children are stressed.  It really wasn't our finest parenting moments.  The 5 year old proceeds to sing, whine, and cry for then next hour.  We proceed to try and sooth and calm him and finally resort to "SHUT UP".  Meanwhile the baby is exhausted and just wants to sleep and is having trouble getting there with the aforementioned "soundtrack".

Husband decides he had better walk out to the main road, or at least where he thinks it is, to wait for the tow truck.  While he's gone the county sheriff shows up.  He decides that he will take me and the kids to the nearest gas station which has a table so we can wait out of the elements.  To do this, I have to wade through the puddles we have driven through with each child.  I take the oldest first; I figure he can stand and wait with the officer and the officer wont have to hold him or try and keep him warm.  By the time I was on my way back to get the baby my feet and legs started going numb from the cold water.  Did I mention I now have rocks in my shoes?  Really, this just gets better and better...Husband is no where in sight but I guess he called the 911 dispatcher again and they were able to relay to him that the officer was taking us to town and he needed to head back to the car.

We all got settled at the gas station, husband was found, and the tow truck finally found us at the gas station.  My Dad came and rescued us to take me and the boys home, and I went and picked up Husband at the dealership where the Jeep was dropped off.  Remember the part where the tow truck was having trouble finding us?  $850 for 3 1/2 hours of "service".  According to Husband, this service also included him making my husband go out and hook up the Jeep because he was already wet. 

On the bright side, we are home, we are safe, and we seem to have escaped frostbite.  We don't know how much this is going to cost yet, but I am thinking we may have just spent all of our tax refunds....

No comments:

Post a Comment